Fauna Ideas Inspired by Firefall

With such staple creatures in Firefall like the Aranhas, Brontodons, Culex, and many many more, what type of creatures are you hoping to see in Respark?

As for myself, I’m dying for a bug like creature that gives the same satisfication as the Aranha when you blast them with the plasma cannon and watch them explode!

3 Likes

i like how a lot of creatures were bug-like. besides looking very alien, it gave a good justification for both high durability - thanks to exoskeletons - and for high amount of gibs on death - thanks to extra limbs, antennas, wings, mandibles etc.

brontodons i don’t care much about as an enemy, but it was fun to try and ride one.

i liked EMP butterflies and burrowing snakes a lot - because they’re very different from many other enemies. the roly poly thing was awesome too.

about original creatures - it’s fun to take the general features of one creature and give it a “skin” of another. the best hybrid and mythical creature art i’ve seen works exactly like that. some games does that too, like Elder Scrolls with it’s nix-hound: it’s a dog with a “skin” of an ant. different games and mods make it look differently - adding more mandibles, making it more ant-like or giving it a crow beak, but it always looks “whole” unlike most art of mythical creatures, like, say, chimera - different patches of skin, fur and scale on the same creature isn’t the way to go IMO.

www.google.com/search?q=elder+scrolls+nix+hound&tbm=isch

3 Likes

Here are a few concepts we have for basic creatures, made by our concept artist Tomas :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

niiiice

the angler fly is menacing and makes perfect sense! actually, everything is menacing, but in different way.

2 Likes

Antlions (I don’t know what they are called in the original) from Half-Life 2 and Lurker from Starcraft should work well as examples of movement mechanics. This will explain the presence of the rocket pack, gliders and the upward acceleration skills. A creature that can fly short distances is either a large insect or a predatory flying squirrel. The creature that attacks when crawling out of the ground seems to me to be a hybrid of a worm and a mole.

2 Likes

More about jumping and gliding insect. I asked for help in some local chat and a guy named Ragnarek Caytam helped me with sketch. Such insect should look like mantis - 4 limbs for moving and up-jumping, 2 sabers and fangs to hit, chest with hitin protection, weak point at back, wings are also weak point.

5 Likes

That’s a very good idea ! We were thinking about adding flying enemies to counter players in Exoframes, but making a hybrid that can also move on the ground and jump would be awesome !

3 Likes

One of the things that made FF stand out was its insectoid creatures…there just weren’t many games that went a lot further than overgrown spiders or scorpions.

That being said, hybrids of creatures that do not yet exist in mythology come to mind. Like a minotaur is a wellknown bull-human hybrid, or dryders being a lesser known hybrid of a spider eith human torso (Cydea from Diablo 3 comes to mind)
With hybrids possibilities are endless.

One thing that SPECIFICLY comes
to mind: a giant centipede alien.

I am talking big as in it could eat an extractor if it was hungry for a thumpthump.
Burrowing underground, resurfacing with a lot of thrashing.

2 Likes

Fauna pretending to be part of the environment and attacking when you least expect it. Some Firefall enemies did this I think (one random encounter from memory). Or like the crystal crabs from Paint the Town Red who pretend to be crystals.
CrystalCrabShoot

Robotic enemies are interesting. Subterranean enemies are too. Mohole from Bionic Commando (video of the boss fight).

3 Likes

I remember in FF there was something like a meteorite that landed and from it came something like Aranha with crystals on it ?

I’m not 100% sure now as I’ve only encountered it twice and it was a looong time ago…

2 Likes

oooh, yeah, a rare event! an explosion could be heard in a massive radius - of a meteorite entering the atmosphere, - then it could be seen falling somewhere. aranhas try to eat the huge pile of crystite. you could let them do that to farm bigger and more dangerous aranhas as it makes them mutate almost instantly or you could shoot them and the crystal to make it drop the resources for you.

5 Likes

That was such a thrill seeing it streak across the sky and trying to race across the map to be the first there!

2 Likes